Sunday, July 25, 2010

The One About Asher (Mini-Ernie)

Since this blog is mostly about documenting stages of our life, I thought I would devote a post to my little man, Asher.  As I have been very late at my spring cleaning, I recently pulled out a photo album that Grandma Lois gave us of Ernie's childhood.  I am not kidding you, there is a baby picture in there of Ernie that looks IDENTICAL to Asher.  Gavin thought it was Asher.  So no question who this kid takes after. 

Asher is now 12 1/2 months.  He walks...no actually he runs with huge strides.  He now has 12 teeth, as 4 molars just popped through last week.  And he talks...yes, my child actually talks.  I told you he was like Ernie, right?  I think it is just a surprise to me, because Gavin didn't really say anything until he was closer to 2 years old.  I would bring home my speech test, and test him every 3-4 months to see if he would qualify for services yet.  I was a bit obsessive, I know.  He never did qualify, because his understanding was so high.  Anyway, it just amazes me that Asher started saying words around 11 months old.  He consistently says:  Dada, ball, tractor, hat, hot, cup, hoop, Mama, baba, bye-bye, and pop (Thank you Grandma Karen--I am just thrilled he knows that word).  He also says Gavin, but it comes out like daduh.  We know it's Gavin, because he points to Gavin's picture on the wall sometimes and says it.  Kids just amaze me with their knowledge at such a young age.  Even though this is my job, it still blows my mind.  Asher knows the word "hot" because we say it when we go outside.  Last week, he walks over to the oven when I was cooking something and says, "hot."  Now how in the heck does he know to make that transfer from outside to the oven.  Amazing!! 

I am a little sad to report that I think Dada is Asher's favorite person.  He just loves his Daddy more than words can explain (at least I have Gavin, b/c he is definitely my little buddy).  Asher waits for Daddy to come home every night and just shrieks in delight when he sees that pickup pulling into the driveway.  Actually a few times I felt so bad, because Asher saw random pickups coming down our street and started yelling "Dada, Dada!"  His little heart broke when the pickup didn't turn into our driveway.  Asher's favorite toys are balls.  It doesn't matter what kind of ball, just a ball.  He could play catch all day. 

Asher is a very happy baby, but has started getting upset when he knows we are leaving the house without him.  Through sobs, we hear him say "bye-bye."  The boys both go back to daycare in just over two weeks.  The first week is always hard, so I am dreading that.  I know they will be fine after I leave, but I pray that Ernie can take them in the morning so I don't have to witness the tears as we walk away.  It will be harder on Gavin, because he does get really attached to his Mommy in the summer.  I think he senses I go back to work soon, because he keeps telling me, "I want to go everywhere you go, Mommy."  That and "I wuv you, Mommy" really are the sweetest sounds in the world.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment