Today was Gavin's first day of swimming lessons. He was really nervous. We have been talking about them a lot this week, because Gavin is just the kind of child who needs warmed up to the idea of things. He is like me in this. He doesn't know what to expect, and that bothers him. After he has been there or done something, he's okay with it. So the morning came and I asked him in a high-pitch very excited Mommy voice if he was ready for swimming lessons today, he responded with a very bored sounding, "No, I don't feel like swimming lessons." So what is a parent to do? Bribe him with an ice cream cone, of course. So we meet his teacher, and he jumps right into the pool. Whew! I am thinking that the hard part is over. I sat and watched, and tried not to get involved or interfere with his lesson. Do you have any idea how hard it is to sit there and not scream at your child, "Listen to your teacher, Gavin! Look at her. Do what she is telling you to do!" This must totally be what the parents of my toddler and preschool students go through when I go to their homes for speech sessions. Now I don't get worked up during that situation, because I know that is to be expected when a child is that young and in an unfamiliar situation. But when it is your own child, it is completely different. I know he can blow bubbles...so just pay attention and do it, Gavin!! Overall, he really did do well, despite completely ignoring his teacher several times. He's only 3 years old..I just keep reminding myself that. All Gavin cared about what that got to go down the slide at the end of the lesson.
And of course, the ice cream cone.
No comments:
Post a Comment