Friday, September 3, 2010

The One About the Child Development

     Asher attempted to eat his mashed potatoes with a spoon tonight.  I think he did pretty well for his first time. 

  
     In other news, the words "dump truck" came out of his mouth tonight.  He says a new word every day it seems.  Quite the change from Gavin's constant "NNNTTT" sound he made at this age.  He would point at everything and say, "NNNTTT!"  I didn't think he would ever talk.  Not that I compare my children in a competitive way, but I know Gavin had much higher receptive language and more understanding at this age than Asher does.  He could identify like 10 body parts, pictures in books, and things around the house.  He is more of an introspective/intellectual kid even now.  Asher, on the other hand, is way more verbal.  Expressive language is his area of strength.  He explores things more than Gavin did at this age.  He doesn't just observe, but interacts with his environment more, and the people in it.  He is just now getting to the point where he will sit and look at books with me.  Before now, he would just flip through the pages roughly and then shove it in his mouth. At 1-year old and even earlier, Gavin would sit and point at pictures in books forever. In their baby books, I write up developmental summaries every few months.  It is interesting now to go back and read what Gavin was doing at this age.  It is so funny how your kids can be so different from each other.  I once read an article that talked about this.  No two children can ever be raised in the same environment, except twins I suppose.  Gavin was an only child for 2 1/2 years, whereas Asher has always had that big brother around. Something is always different, no matter how constant your parenting style remains. I know I don't get as much quality time with Asher as I did with Gavin, and that really bothers me.  I guess as a parent that I can only do the best I can, and try to push that guilt down.  Guilt is such a constant feeling as a parent.  I don't think I would ever feel like I was doing enough or spending enough time with my children. 
    I'll end this post with some funny bathtub pics of Asher and a cute pic of Gavin playing Mr. Potato Head with Daddy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment