Saturday, June 25, 2011

The One About Gavin's Attitude: Part 1

   I decided to put "Part 1" because I am sure there will be many more of these installments to come over the years.  Gavin has been a handful the last week or so.  Usually it is Asher giving me headaches, but he has been pretty quiet as Gavin's attitude has taken center stage.  First, the word "whatever" is making its appearance several times a day.  I feel like I can't even get too upset, because I know he is learning this from me.  In fact, if I am completely honest, he is learning the whole attitude from me.  It's no secret that I am stubborn, difficult, and moody.  Luckily, Ernie knows me well enough to navigate around it.  Anyway, so sometimes lately when I tell Gavin to do something, he has been responding with "whatever."  Or worse, "You do it!"  That one really ticks me off.  The sighs have also become very audible and drawn out. 

Me:  Gavin, pick your cup up and put it in the sink. 
Gavin:  (LOUD SIGH...... )

   The worst thing is one that I am embarassed to admit.  I have heard him say this twice in the last few weeks, and each time stops me cold in my tracks.  The latest time was at Casey's.  I was opening a door to get a pop and accidently knocked it into his arm. 

Gavin:  Jesus, Mom.  You hit me with the door. 

    WHAT???  When he said it the first time, I thought I heard him wrong,  This time it was crystal clear.  So we had a discussion about why we do not say that unless we are talking about Jesus Christ.  Sadly, I have caught myself saying it several times since then, so I know exactly where he learned this.  I don't have a particularly bad mouth, but I know this is wrong to say.  Honestly, it's worse than if he were saying the f-bomb. 
    We did have a cute moment today.  After it happened, I ran into the house to write it down so I wouldn't forget.  I am reading this book now called The Happiest Mom.  Can you tell I am on a happiness quest lately?  In it, it says to ask your kids if you are a good Mom and why they think so?  So I asked Gavin.

Me:  Do you think I am a good mommy?
Gavin:  Yes.
Me:  Why am I a good mommy?
Gavin:  Because you cook me dinner.
Me:  But you don't usually eat what I cook you for dinner. 
Gavin:  But I like broccoli, and I like when you cook me broccoli. 
Me:  Why else am I a good mommy?
Gavin:  Because you get the ball for me when it goes across the road.  I love you because you're tall, and if my ball goes in a tree, you can reach it. 

    It really made me think about the little things and how important they are.  :) 
    I also have to share something else that made me laugh out loud.  Gavin has a rather large mole on the front of his right shoulder.  He was playing outside today without a shirt, and told Grandma, "This is my mole.  And these are my moles too."  (He was pointing at his nipples) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment