It's official. I have a toddler. Asher is 2 years old. I can no longer call him Gavin's "baby" brother. For his birthday, we made a trip to the zoo in Omaha. It was a looooonnnnnngggg day. We are all still exhausted from the trip. We left at 6:00 a.m., thinking the boys would fall back asleep on the drive down. Wrong! They were both wide awake.
When we got to the zoo, I realized that my little point and shoot Nikon camera no longer works, so I have absolutely no pictures from the day. I didn't want to haul my SLR around. It is really sad, because there were so many cute things that I wish I had pictures of. For months whenever we mentioned the zoo, Asher said, "I see monkeys. I see giraffes." So we knew we had to start at the orangutan and gorilla buildings. He was in heaven. The screams just echoed through the building. Asher ran up to each monkey and waved "Hi monkey! Hi monkey!" several times. His little arm probably aches today from all the waving. At one point Gavin and I had gone ahead, way up around the corner, and we could still hear Asher. He was in heaven. The aquarium was another favorite, particularly the tunnel you walk through. We spent a lot of time in there, which was nice because it was air-conditioned. I wasn't a big fan of the butterfly pavillion. They don't want you to touch anything, which is difficult to control with kids. Of course, they want to reach out and touch the butterflys and grab the fruit set out to feed them.
The boys both wanted to ride the carousel. When it first started, Asher wasn't sure if he liked the up and down motion. Then he loved it, and instantly bawled when it stopped. It wasn't tantrum tears...it was pure sadness. He just wailed.
Asher went bonkers and screamed and clapped whenever the train would go by us. So we had to ride on it too. That was so much fun, but by that point Asher was just exhausted. He fought sleep the entire time at the zoo, but fell asleep the instant we put him in the car seat.
No comments:
Post a Comment