It's official. Summer is over. I go back to work tomorrow morning, and the boys go back to daycare. On one hand, it will be nice to get back to a routine, to get out of Ewing and have some time by myself on the road, etc.. BUT on the other hand, I am going to miss being with the boys all day. I am going to miss our daily bike rides and walks. I am going to miss being here when they wake up in the morning, although Asher tends to get up so early that I will probably still see him every morning. I am just lucky that I am able to work part-time with my job, even though sometimes I think I still work too much. It's hard being away from the kids all day. I just feel like I miss so much, whereas now I am there for everything that happens to them. I guess this is preparing me for when they go to school and I won't know everything that happens in their day-to-day life. Okay, I am going to just stop with this before the tears start rolling.
This has been a busy summer. We have had so many appointments. Doctors, dentists, insurance, etc.. Asher got tubes in June, so hopefully we have less doctor appointments this school year, Last year, I swear we were at the doctor's office every other week. Asher had around 6-7 ear infections from October to May, and they didn't always clear up with the first round of antiobiotics so we had many follow-up visits. I am so thankful that I get so much paid sick leave with my job. Anyway, I am off-topic.
We didn't take any vacations this summer, but still are planning an Omaha trip the end of August to the zoo and air show at Offutt Air Force Base. I think Ernie is more excited for that air show than Gavin. I really want to travel with my kids as they get older, take them to see as much as I can. I have learned how important those traveling experiences are in education. Right now, it is way too difficult to travel long distances. Yes, that has to do with Asher. He is an AWFUL traveler. He is getting better, but still not great. Asher grunts, screams, and desperately tries to break free from his buckles. Gavin has always been so easy to take places. As a baby and even now, he falls asleep so easily in the car. When Gavin is not sleeping, we are serenaded with singing and nonstop talking. (this is my first attempt posting a video, so we'll see if this works correctly)
This is proof that my child has seen The Backyardigans: Robin Hood The Clean way too many times this summer. This video also shows another occurrence in our road trips: frequent potty breaks. Is there something about getting into their car seats that makes kids have to potty constantly? Sometimes I miss the diaper days. :)
Asher has changed a lot this summer. Not only can he walk and talk now, but he has developed an attitude and personality. He also has become a very ROUGH little boy, which scares me as he goes back to daycare. Now in his defense, he is used to playing with a 3 1/2 year old who rips toys from his hands whenever he shows interest in them. He is used to wrestling and getting pounded with pillows. So he plays back and hits, pulls hair, etc.. This is not good when he does this with babies younger than him, or even his age or slightly older. (I apologize now to the crawling baby in the back of church on Sunday who took a mini-beating before I could get there). He doesn't intend to be mean...that is just how he plays. I have warned Lisa, our daycare provider to watch him like a hawk when the babies are down on the floor. I have warned my friend Kelly, because I fear that cute, little Belle is going to be the main target because she has started crawling and pulling herself up. We'll see how things go.
Gavin and Asher play pretty well together. They have occasional arguments, like when Gavin builds something out of blocks or sets up his farm and Asher comes over and wrecks it. Last week, this caused Gavin to say "I want to move to a new house where NO baby brothers live." He is usually very patient with Asher. Asher just watches Gavin like he is a movie-star. He imitates whatever Gavin does, and follows him around the house. I am hoping Asher picks up on Gavin's good behavior. I have talked to Gavin about teaching Asher how to play. He told him, "Asher, here is how you play. You don't wreck stuff!" I have had a lot of fun watching them play together this summer. Gavin has told me that he and Asher are best friends. That was quite possibly the sweetest thing I have ever heard.
Overall, the summer has been wonderful. We got in swimming, playgrounds, bike rides, and other summer outdoor things. I have a nice tan, toned up my legs with all that bike riding, and got lots of cuddle time with the boys. I even managed to get in a kids-free shopping trip to Omaha (I love you Village Pointe!!) Bring on those cool, autumn nights.
No comments:
Post a Comment