Sunday, August 29, 2010

The One About the Zoo and Air Show

This last weekend, we finally got away for a mini-vacation.  Ernie has been pretty busy this summer, and we just haven't had the time to get out of town.  So Saturday morning, we loaded up by 6:00 a.m. and headed for Omaha.  First stop was the zoo.  We took Gavin there last summer, but this was Asher's first time.  He didn't really react to the animals like I thought he would.  He just gave us attitude for having to sit in his stroller that long.  I looked around at all these other babies, just riding quietly in their strollers.  Then looked down at Asher who was squirming and doing everything he could to wiggle free.  We did get him out for some photos and to to run around when we were away from the animal cages. 









That picture of Gavin makes me tear up, because we took that exact same picture last summer when we took him.  It is fun to compare them to see how much he has changed, but so sad at the same time.  I can't believe he will be 4 years old in a few months.
   At the zoo, we rode the train.  I'm sorry..but what a rip-off.  I know Gavin enjoyed it, so I would probably do it every time, but you really see nothing of the zoo.  We rode for like 5 minutes, then stopped at the other train station for probably 10 minutes while other people got on.  Then it was like 3 minutes back to the starting train depot.  I think we saw elephants, giraffes, and birds.  That's about it.  $5/person to ride.  However, I would pay that to see the smile on Gavin's face. 
    We did a few more things in Omaha.  Of course, we had to hit Bass Pro, which I really don't mind.  I prefer it to Cabelas actually.  We headed back to Lincoln to stay at Aunt Shayla's, who was actually out of town.  When you live in a childproof house, you really forget how dangerous a non-childproof house is.  I think Ernie and I spent the first hour running around and putting everything up on shelves.  Asher was into everything.  Gavin had gotten some toy snakes in Omaha, and insisted on hiding them in Shayla's refrigerator and drawers so she would scream when she opened them.  He thought he was so funny.  However, he later called her and told her exactly what he had done and where he had hid them.  So much for the surprise.  :) 
   Now, Asher is very picky about where he sleeps.  He loves his bed, and doesn't sleep well anywhere else...other than daycare.  I didn't pack the Pack N Play, because I didn't want to haul it all the way down there.  I figured that we could get by.  So Gavin, Asher, and I cuddled up on the air mattress Saturday night.  Gavin lay still and watched TV, and then I looked over to see this little arm reaching for Gavin's head.  My little troublemaker just can't help himself.  Asher wasn't pulling his hair, just messing with him to get his attention.  So they start picking on each other.  Ever since Asher started his biting, hair-pulling at daycare, we have tried to stop this play fighting at home.  I told Gavin to not touch him and leave him alone.  Gavin's response was, "But he is so beautiful.  I love him so much."  :)  How do you argue with that?  He's getting to be such a sly little guy.  We realized Asher was not going to sleep on the air mattress, so we took him into the other room.  He woke up several times throughout the night.  It was like having a newborn again, except that he woke up in a dead scream.  I am sure it was scary for him to wake up in an unfamiliar place. 
   On Sunday, we drove back to Omaha to Offutt Air Force Base for the air show.  Gavin had so much fun.  Asher, being still tired and crabby from not sleeping all night, did not.  He did not want to be in the stroller, and I didn't want him to run loose with the thousands of people around.  Somehow we survived the day. 













We walked around and checked out some jets and helicopters.  Then watched a few shows. 


On the way home, both boys crashed before we were out of Omaha.  However, they were both wide awake by Norfolk, and here is how the drive from Clearwater to Ewing went:

Gavin is into the phase where he LOVES making up songs and mixing two different ones together.  Then he laughs like he is the funniest boy in the world.  At this point, Asher was just ticked off.  I shut the camera off before he really let us have it.  :)  They were so glad to get home tonight.  As were Ernie and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment