Friday, December 31, 2010

The One About New Years 2010

  I just LOVE New Years Eve.  There is so much hope and excitement....so much optimism for the start of a new year.  I always feel like I can just wipe away all my mistakes and habits from the old year, and start fresh in the morning.  I can become a new person.  And that new person is going to have a clean house, organized paperwork, and a clutter-free closet.  That is how I have spent the night so far.  Does anyone else get great joy from throwing junk out?  I just love it.   When I am done reading a magazine, I get a little excited when I get to throw it away.  I may be crazy, but I just love to get rid of stuff I don't need and have a clutter-free existence.  You definitely will never see me on the show Hoarders. 
   We didn't go out tonight, even though DW's was having a big party.  I am still trying to get over this cold, and Ernie said he was perfectly happy staying in.  Asher was in bed by 7:00, and Gavin is now on the verge of sleep.  I don't know if I will make it until midnight, but that's okay.  I am on so much cold medicine this week that I am lucky I can hold my head up.
     I have never been one to write down resolutions, but I definitely have goals in my mind for the new year.  Thinking back over 2010, did I achieve my goals??  It really doesn't matter.  There wasn't really anything significant that happened with our family, but it was a beautiful year.  My biggest accomplishment was probably training and completing the Lincoln half-marathon in May.  I was really proud of myself for that.  I also received my 5-year service award from ESU 8.  That is a big deal for me, after being in school for 7 1/2 years and having such a difficult time deciding what I wanted to be.  Another Speech Pathologist once told me that it took 5 years of working in the field before you truly felt like you knew what you were doing.  So I should know now, right?  :) I know I get more confident in my therapy skills each year, and I know I have come a LONG way from that first scary year.  I have had some very challenging cases this year, so I am definitely learning a lot from the experiences.  I complain about going to work sometimes, but I do really love my job.  I am very lucky.  Another big accomplishment was surviving Asher's biting stage.  That was the most difficult thing we dealt with in 2010.  That and Grandma Rita's medical struggles.  I am happy to report that she is now in swing bed at Antelope Memorial Hospital in Neligh, and is doing well.  I hope 2011 brings a better year for her.  In 2010, my first baby went from toddler to preschooler and my second baby went from baby to toddler...although I still refer to Asher as "baby."  I think I can do that for another 7 days..he'll be 18 months on January 7th. 
   Here are some pictures from our today.  First, Gavin got a shoulder or collarbone injury.  I believe he was trying to balance on the laundry basket and fell off into the couch.  He has this thing now where he thinks he needs to ice his injuries (which occur about every 30 minutes).  Well apparently he decided his head needed iced as well.

    Then Asher and I set out to organize the toy room.  I got a big tote at Target to store all the food/dishes/pots and pans that go with the new kitchen that Santa brought.  I left the room for one second, and Asher crawled right in.  My little helper!


   After it stopped snowing, Ernie and Gavin ran to the farm to get the 4-Wheeler and blade.  I will admit this...when Ernie first bought that 4-Wheeler, I complained like crazy, b/c I didn't think it was something we needed.  Not that he listened to me, b/c he bought it anyway.   However, with the last two winters, that thing and the snow blade he bought for it has been a lifesaver.  I should probably apologize to him for complaining about it.  Nah!  Gavin LOVES riding with him, and couldn't wait to put on his snowgear to help clear the driveway. 
   When we were little, people always teased my brother Travis about looking like little Ralphie from A Christmas Story.  Which he really did resemble that boy, especially with his glasses on.  Everyone always says that Gavin looks just like Travis, so this shouldn't surprise me.  When Gavin puts his winter hats on, I swear he looks just like Ralphie.  And now with his glasses..scary!  He doesn't have the blonde hair like Travis did, so I only really notice this when he puts a hat on.  If you google little Ralphie now, he actually is in movies today, but you probably wouldn't recognize him.  He is really good friends with Vince Vaughn and  is in a lot of his movies like Couples Retreat and The Break Up.  Just some useless information for you.  :)  
   After Asher went to bed, Gavin and I played on PBS Kids.  It just amazes me how natural kids are with computers.  I know he has watched me for four years, but he knows exactly what to do.  I finally had to cut him off, because he would have been on there all night.  

   I hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year!  Who knows what this year is going to hold for our family? 

No comments:

Post a Comment