Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The One About the Happiness Project

   I was going to wait until I finished reading the book before I blogged on it, but I can't wait.  I am in love with this book.  I find it so interesting when people take on these personal challenges or journeys and then write about their experiences and reflections along the way. 
   I don't even know where I first saw this book. 


     We all say the only thing we want in life is to be happy.  What does that mean?  What is happiness?  What makes you happy?  Is happiness something you can control?  In this book, the author tackles a different area of her life each month.  She comes up with specific "goals" to focus on each month.  For example, in January she focuses on energy.  Her goals are:  go to sleep earlier; exercise better; toss, restore, organize; tackle a nagging task; act more energetic.  In February, she focuses on marriage.  Her goals are:  quit nagging;  don't expect praise or appreciation; fight right; no dumping; give proofs of love.  She tracks her progress every day and then reflects on what she learns.  So far, I am only at month 3.  I love how her project is making her slow down and focus on the little moments of life.  Also, she finds that these little things start to snowball and affect other things in her life.  I really think that I need to start my own happiness project.  I am so blessed in my life, but I constantly find myself getting upset or sad over stupid little things.  Is it sad to need to remind yourself how truly happy you really are?  I guess life sometimes gets in the way of living.
    Another book that I recommed is


     I read it a few years ago, but I have been thinking about it since I started reading the Happiness Project.  I would like to reread it.  The Year of Living Biblically is so funny and entertaining.  The author tries to fully obey the Ten Commandments and many other principles in the Bible.  He interprets the Bible very literally, and then applies it to society today.  I just think this man is brilliant.  What a creative and brilliant idea!  I wish I could come up with a clever idea and write a book about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment