I have been putting off writing this post all week. It's been a rough one in our house. Ernie has been working long hours, and that leaves me with the two boys, potty training, and a 4-year old attitude. There have been screams, tears, and time-outs...all of these describe me as well as the boys. On top of all this, our air conditioner went out on Monday morning, and it took 2 days to get the part in and get it fixed. Right during the dangerous heat wave across the Midwest. Just lovely!
I started potty training Asher on Sunday. He had been telling me he had to go, and had gone on the toilet occasionally in the last few weeks. I was thinking, "Great. He's ready. Let's run with this. This is going to be a piece of cake." Stupid Mommy thought! Actually, he did really well on Sunday. He only had a few accidents, and usually would go a tinkle and then tell me so he could finish on the toilet. Not bad! Monday morning, we had to head to my parents' house by 9:00 a.m., because it was already 85 degrees in the house. I tried and tried to continue potty training there, but he just wasn't having it. He fought me tooth and nail. He wouldn't even sit on my parents' toilet. My Mom was there in the afternoon, and gave it a try but he wouldn't budge. We kept him in his big boy underwear and kept trying, because I refused to give up. When we finally did get home on Tuesday night, he told me he had to go and went on the toilet. Once again, I stupidly thought, "Yes! We haven't lost any ground. We'll start fresh tomorrow and be on our way." Wednesday and especially Thursday were not good days. They weren't awful, but by this point I was just exhausted and I think the boys were too. I really think we need a break from each other, and I am praying Ernie will be home one day this weekend to help with that. Anyway, Asher occasionally went, but had more accidents Thursday late afternoon/early evening than he did the entire first day. Because it was such nice, cool weather yesterday, we spent all morning outside, bike riding, at the baseball field, football field, etc.. He didn't have an accident. He told me several times he had to potty, and we tried, but he never went. Still, no accidents. I know he understands the concept. At one point yesterday, he went a tiny bit in his underwear, looked up at me, and said, "I in trouble." :) He also has apologized after some of his accidents, "Sorry, Mommy. Sorry." I know that not ALL kids are ready to be potty trained by two, despite what the experts say. I know each child will do it in their own time. We tried with Gavin at 2 1/2, before Asher was born, and he wasn't picking it up. So then when we tried again 3 months later, it took 3 days and he was good. So I do believe that each child has their own time.
I blame myself, because I know that I am really tired this week, and I do wonder how much of his stubborness and protesting is playing off me and my mood. I am trying to stay upbeat and positive about the potty situation, but it has just been one of those weeks. I would love to throw in the towel and just start fresh again next week, but we are going to keep trying. With Asher, I don't know why I ever thought this would be easy. NOTHING with Asher has been easy.
And then there's Gavin, who I thought would be such a big help to me during this process. Wrong! He feels neglected. "Mommy, why aren't you playing with me?" He plays with us, but if Asher leaves the room, I am right behind him, which leaves Gavin alone. Because of this, he has been very mouthy this week...and needy. Some of Asher's accidents have been because I was doing something for Gavin and left Asher alone. The 3-Day Potty Training specifically says to take other children to babysitters so you can focus on the child potty training. I totally agree with that, but that isn't always an option. So we are doing the best we can, and I am trying not to kill Gavin. :) I don't mean to whine and whine, because I know there are many mothers out there raising many more children than I have, and getting by on their own. And I honestly don't know how they manage to do it and keep their sanity. Or sobriety.
On a side note, the boys and I rode to the football field on our bikes yesterday morning. Gavin wanted to run up and down the field. So I sat on the bleachers and just watched them run across the field. It was so heartbreaking, to think there may never be another football game on that field. Asher has never been to a football game. When Gavin was little, we went to all the home games. There is talk that Ewing may get a team again in the future, but we'll see. Right now, we don't have enough boys in high school.
No comments:
Post a Comment