There are so many things that I want to remember about my boys at this point in our lives. I thought I would write a post reminding myself of what I love most about each of them. Two love letters to my boys.
Gavin:
My serious little man, named way back in the mid 1990's after Gavin Rossdale, lead singer of the band Bush. Ernie and I would drive around listening to Bush, and I always told him that if we ever had a son, his name would be Gavin. Your big blue eyes are the first things people notice; that, and your long eyelashes. You are so smart, and I know that all parents say that about their children, but you really are an intelligent child. You are so analytical, such a little thinker. I can see your mind going over things before you speak the words. You ask me so many questions about things; you want to learn and know about everything around you. Your memory is remarkable. You are so much like me; so cautious and shy when you are in an unknown situation or around someone you don't know. You are quiet until you feel comfortable, and then your wonderful personality and sense of humor come out. You are so cuddly and lovable, always the first one to come running when I say that Mommy needs a hug. When I leave the house, I have to come back and give you seconds of my good-bye hugs and kisses. One round is never enough. If I forget, you chase me down into the garage. I love to hear you ask if we can "cuddle." It is the sweetest question in the world. You tell me you will continue to give me hugs and kisses, even when you are a grown-up. I will hold you to that promise.
Asher:
Oh, Asher. Where do I begin? You are Gavin's polar opposite. There are so many things that I admire in you, so many ways that I wish I were more like you. You are such a go-getter. Where Gavin is shy in new situations and around new people, you embrace those times. You are constantly yelling to other kids on the playground or inviting them to play in your games. You want to fully experience everything around you. If we see something, you yell, "I touch it!" If we see an animal, you yell, "I ride it!" No fear holds you back. You want to take on the world with everything inside of you.
You are such a funny little guy...."hilarious" is the word Lisa uses to describe you. You will do anything to get a laugh. You are so dramatic in everything you say and do. Your eyes get big, and your speaking volume has no control. When we are reading a book, you completely empathize with the characters, showing so from your eyes and facial expressions to your words. When we read Llama Llama Red Pajama the other night, and I asked if the little llama was scared, you got the most fearful look in your eyes and nearly cried, as you dramatically answered, "Yes!" Gavin seems to be more sensitive, but you are much more so than anyone realizes. You are very emotional and moody, and one look can make you collapse into tears---inconsolable tears. When you accidently bump me or get angry and slap, you always apologize and send air kisses in my direction. You are not a cuddler like Gavin, but you always want to "hold Mommy's hand" when we walk. I eat up those times when you let me hold you close.
I am such a lucky Mommy. How did I get so lucky to have you both in my life?
No comments:
Post a Comment