Monday, July 30, 2012

The One About The Kindergarten Appts

    Last week, Gavin had his Kindergarten physical at the pediatrician, as well as his Kindergarten eye exam.  Asher went along for both and got a physical and his 3-year eye screening.  I was a bit nervous for the eye screening, because this is the appt when we discovered that Gavin needed glasses.  I can't imagine Asher keeping glasses on his face, so I was praying his eyes were okay. 

    For the physicals, we went back to Dr. Gebhardt in Norfolk.  He asked Gavin a lot of questions, checking his cognition and development.  Gavin barely had a chance to answer any of them, because big-mouth Asher blurted out all the answers.

Dr. Gebhardt:  Gavin, do you ride a bike without training wheels?
Asher:  I ride a bike.  I have training wheels, but Gavin doesn't.
Dr. Gebhardt:  Gavin, can you count to 10?
Asher:  I can.  1, 2, 3, 4, ......
Dr. Gebhardt:  What is your favorite food, Gavin?
Asher:  Gavin likes chocolate milk.
Dr. Gebhardt:  Asher, what do you like to eat?
Asher:  carrots and grapes (what a brown-noser--ha)

    It was really funny, because the doctor asked Gavin if he liked to play outside.  Keep in mind that this appointment was during the 100-degree stretch of weather.  So Gavin honestly answers:  "No, I don't play outside.  I just lay on the couch on watch TV."  ha ha  I was embarassed.  I felt like I needed to explain that NORMALLY we play outside, but that yes we have stayed inside and watched a lot of TV lately because of the weather.  Luckily, Dr. Gebhardt didn't judge me.  :) 
   
    The physicals went fine, and there were no problems.  At the eye doctor, Gavin's astigmatism has improved, and he is seeing 20/40 unassisted and 20/20 with his glasses.  We can start seeing the doctor annually now rather than every 6 months.  Thankfully, Asher passed his screening.  His focusing ability is excellent, and the doctor doesn't need to see him for a year.  He was really cute, because I had prepared him by telling him that he will be seeing some pictures and will have to tell the doctor what pictures he sees on the wall.  I told him he might see pictures like a tiger, airplane, truck, etc...not wanting to tell him exactly which pictures I knew he would be shown.  So right away, he says, "I don't see a tiger!  Where's the tiger?"  He did very well holding still and looking through the machines, even better than Gavin did for his 3-year screening.  
   
   Now we all have our dentist appointments next week, and we are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment