Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The One About The First Parent-Teacher Conferences

    Tonight was Gavin's first Parent-Teacher Conference.  I didn't think there would be anything new to report.  I have been in contact with his teacher since school started.  Yes, I was the psycho parent who emailed her after the first day and asked if I could check in with her via email.  The Elgin teachers and I communicate with parents via email often, so I thought that would be nice to have that access to Gavin's teacher if I had questions about how things were going.  I haven't bothered her a lot, but we have emailed back and forth about a few things that have come up.  As we expected, Gavin was very shy at first and didn't participate much in class discussions.  Tonight, his teacher reported that he is finally coming out of his shell.  He is starting to raise his hand and answer questions.  He does his Show and Tell with no problems.  She said he is doing well in all academic areas.  He knows his letters and the sounds they have targeted.  He knows some initial sounds of words.  He can pattern.  He is doing some simple addition.  He can count and recognize numbers.  We got to see some artwork that he has done at school.  Ernie and I could both pick out which pieces were Gavin's...he has a very distinct artistic style.  His art skills far surpass mine, something he gets from his Daddy.  I can't draw a stick person even.  I am so proud of Gavin's artistic side.  He is always coloring, painting, or drawing at home.  It was a very positive conference.  Ernie and I both agree that the the shyness issue is minor, especially since we both know we will be sitting there in 3 years hearing, "Asher NEVER stops talking.  I don't know how to make him stop talking."  Overall, Gavin has adjusted to Kindergarten far better than we expected, so I am really relieved that we are through the first month now and things are going well. 
    Gavin had Homecoming last week.  With the small numbers at Ewing, Homecoming isn't nearly as big of a deal as it was when I was in school.   That is so sad.  The parade lasted all of 5 minutes.  The band didn't even march in it.  Gavin enjoyed the pep rally, and Asher collected a whole bag of candy at the parade, since there were very few little ones there to watch.  Here are some pictures of Gavin walking with his class.



     At home, things are going well. Callum is growing. He definitely developed his appetite this last week. He likes to "load up" at night, which is good because he has had several nights of sleeping a 6-hour stretch. That is like heaven for us! 



I love this picture.  It's like they are making faces at each other. 
 


 
    This last picture totally looks like one of Ernie's baby pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment