Monday, April 1, 2013

The One About the Easter Tonsillectomy

   Catchy title, huh?  When the doctor first gave us the date of March 28th for Asher's surgery, I thought it would be perfect because I would be off work for an entire week, because of how Easter break falls with my working days.  I didn't think about how it would completely ruin our Easter.  :)  Oh well, the surgery needed to be done.
    Asher did very well during the surgery.  The doctor said his tonsils and adenoids were huge, and she sucked out a lot of thick goo from his middle ear space.  She said he had to have been pretty uncomfortable with all the goo.  I remember they told us that when he got his first set of tubes as a baby.  Poor kiddo!  Hopefully he is old enough now to get through the next year to 18 months with the tubes in place without the goo coming back, and now with the added benefit of now tonsils or adenoids, which can help with ear infections.  Waking up from the anesthesia was hard on him.  He had an IV, and absolutely hated that.  He kept trying to rip it out, so we had to hold his arms down.  It was awful...I felt so bad for him.  Through his tears, he was telling the nurses, "Take it out!"   Once they got him drinking juice and were able to take the IV out, he was fine.  He fell asleep for a long time, and then did okay on the ride home.  He has had his ups and downs since we have been home.  Mornings are worse, which the doctor said is normal because the throat dries out so much at night.  He isn't eating, which is fine, but he also hasn't been drinking as much as I would like.  They want us to offer him a drink every 30 minutes to keep the throat moist, but he isn't interested.  Even popsicles aren't working, which surprised me.  So now I am watching him like a hawk for symptoms of dehydration.  He definitely isn't his normal self.  He is very quiet and inactive.  When Gavin makes loud noises, it bothers him.  Which just confirms that he was hearing everything muffled before and now hearing things as they are is very loud.  That could also be why he always talked so loudly...maybe I will finally get him to use an "inside voice."  He will have another hearing eval at the follow-up appt in a week, so we'll know for sure if that has improved.
    So basically we have just been hanging out at home since Thursday.  Because the weather was so nice, we did go outside and play.  Ewing had their Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, but Asher wasn't up for it.  I thought he would still want to go, but he told me he wanted to stay home.  So Ernie took Gavin to it.  We didn't go anywhere on Easter, but the boys did hunt eggs at the house Easter morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment