Thursday, November 22, 2012

The One About Gavin's 6th Birthday

     It's time for my annual birthday post, saying goodbye to age 5 and hello to age 6. 
 
     "Five stretched out out like taffy, turning into a skinny, knobby-kneed creature.  He was affectionate but found the world far more interesting than his mother.  That is how it should be, but knowing that didn't make the transition any easier. 
      Five was in Kindergarten, so he knew about many things.  Things like "helping," which he defined as "telling us what to do."  He knew that "manners" meant "always saying, 'May I?'"  ("Henry, do you want milk with your dinner?"  "No, Mommy, it's 'Henry, may I ask you if you want milk with your dinner...?'")  Five knew that you should never leave an intact acorn lying on the ground.  "Whole acorns are lucky," he'd tell us, then whisper a wish to the acorn and tuck it in his pocket. 
     Five was so certain.  Every time he issued a declaration, I felt a pang:  When would self-doubt kick in?  Even as I exulted in his confidence, I worried.  When would the world knock him down?"
                                                                                                --Letting Go of Henry, Little by Little
                                                                                                --by Alice Bradley

     I see Gavin growing up before my eyes.  He has changed a lot since starting Kindergarten.  At volleyball games, he used to sit by me and never leave my side.  This year he would go run and play with his friends, and I wouldn't see him again until the game was over.  I went to school to eat lunch with him the other day, and he left me in the dust.  I expected him to grab my hand and lead me through line..nope.  I followed him like a puppy dog as he went along his normal routine and chatted with his friends.  When school started, I remember him telling me that he didn't want anyone to know when his birthday was and no way was he taking treats to school.  One of the paras said he has been reminding everyone about his birthday for the last week.  I see maturity in how he communicates and rationalizes.  I am constantly amazed at everything he is learning in school.  He is doing simple addition in his head, reading sight words, and decoding words by sounds.  He is such a great helper with Callum.  He is just growing up, plain and simple.  I love to just sit and talk to him. 

    Here are some pictures from his family birthday party. 
 






    Because he is now in school, I told him he could also have a friend birthday party this year.  He decided he wanted to go bowling, so I told him he could choose 3 friends to invite.  He invited his friends Alec, Michael, and Parker.  Michael and Parker were both at daycare with him since he was little.  School dismissed early, so we brought the boys out to play at our house for awhile and then went to O'Neill to do some bowling and play some arcade games.





    Gavin was a great little bowler.  He has been bowling only a handful of times, but does so well.  He even got a strike!




     After bowling, we went out for pizza and then came back.  It was actually a pretty fun party, even for me.  The boys had a great time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment